Yemen suspends peace talks participation after cease-fire violation

 Yemen-suspends-peace-talks-participation-after-cease-fire-violation.   NEW YORK, Yemen has suspended its participation in U.N.-backed peace talks with Iran-backed Houthi militants after a cease-fire violation.

Yemen-suspends-peace-talks-participation-after-cease-fire-violation
Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, the U.N. Special Envoy for Yemen, said negotiations have been suspended between Yemen and Houthis rebels because “reports received” from the Amran government. Photo courtesy of United Nations

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Abdelmalek Al Mekhlafi, the government’s top delegate at the negotiations in Kuwait, said the rebels’ takeover of a military base in the Amran province had “torpedoed” the talks.

Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, the U.N. Special Envoy for Yemen, in a statement Sundaysaid negotiations have been suspended because of “reports received” from the Amran government.

Ahmed urged the talks, which began April 21, to resume despite the situation.

“We understand the reasons that lead to this decision; however we urge all the parties to engage in good faith and demonstrate wisdom in their participation in the talks,” he said. “Yemenis are counting on them.”

He stressed the “only path to a solution is through a peaceful dialogue with full adherence to Security Council resolutions.”

Ahmed noted he spoke with representatives from both sides and has been assured “regarding their commitment to resolve the outstanding issues without convening joint sessions.”

Talks began on April 10 after a cease-fire was announced.

According to the statement, U.N. political experts are currently reviewing the documents presented by the two delegations to identify common ground between them.

Last week, Yemen’s government delegation reiterated its demands for the implementation of U.N. Security Council Resolution 2216, which calls on the Houthis to withdraw from occupied cites.

Yemen has been in turmoil since September 2014, when the Houthis and their allies took control of the capital, Sanaa, and other parts of the country. President Abdu Rabbo Mansour Hadi and his government were forced to flee to Riyadh.

Saudi Arabia and its allies launched a huge air campaign in March last year.

During the conflict, more than 6,000 people have been killed, around half of them civilians, according to the United Nations.

By Allen Cone

UPI NEWS