The Nigerian Army has denied reports that Boko Haram terrorists have taken over the city of Baga, where the militants launched an attack earlier this week.
There was a a fierce fight between militants and Nigerian armed forces this week that killed a Nigerian naval soldier, officials said Friday.
“Baga town is not in the hands of the Boko Haram,” operations chief Lamidi Adeosun said. “They terrorized the town and attacked the headquarters of the 7th Brigade of the Multinational Joint Task Force.”
Baga is in northeast Nigeria, about 850 miles from Lagos near the country’s border with Chad.
In a statement posted to Facebook, the Nigerian Army said troops are working to clear the city of Boko Haram fighters.
“We enjoin all to remain calm as the troops conduct clearance and mop up operations,” the post said. “We implore members of the general public to disregard any contrary information circulating on the attack.”
The resurgence of the terror attacks in Borno State in northern Nigeria prompted Gov. Kashim Shettima to call an emergency meeting in the capital of Maiduguri. The meeting will include several members of the state and local governments, in addition to Borno elders and civilians.
“During the meeting, participants will review the situation in view of recent developments, make suggestions and come up with a resolution that will in writing be delivered to President Mohammadu Buhari,” Shettima said.
The conflict in Nigeria has displaced thousands of civilians. Kashim said many have returned home to find their communities with new water service, hospitals and schools.