Fire erupts on 50th floor of Hancock Center in Chicago

Five people were injured in the fire, though none were hurt seriously.

CHICAGO, People above the 50th floor in Chicago’s John Hancock Center were trapped briefly after a fire broke out in a bedroom Saturday afternoon.

Fire-erupts-on-50th-floor-of-Hancock-Center-in-Chicago
The blaze was put out by 3:30 this afternoon as firefighters conducted a safety check of residents in the building. Photo by Chris DosSantos/Twitter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Five people were injured in the blaze, with one taken to the hospital and one police officer who was treated for smoke inhalation, fire department officials  told the Chicago Tribune.

Flames could be seen shooting from the building early Saturday as firefighters shut down North Michigan Avenue, which had been scheduled to hold the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival, in order to fight the blaze, reported CBS News.

Firefighters asked residents of the building to call 911 if they were trapped, and the fire was out by 3:30, officials said. They also raised the emergency alert to a 2-11 alarm, bringing more units, officers and firefighters to the scene to help with searches and to check on residents.

The John Hancock Center, a 99-story landmark skyscraper in Chicago, has apartments, stores and office space, all of which briefly ground to a halt during the fire emergency.

By Stephen Feller

UPI